Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Is It So Bad???

About a year ago, we were driving past a Wendy's.  Ryan asked who the girl was on the side of the building (the big sketch of Wendy that is part of their logo).  I told him that was Wendy, and she wasn't very nice.  He asked "why?" and I told him "because she feeds us food that makes our bodies sick."  He remembers that conversation to this day, and will at times even make comments such as "Wendy is mean.... her food makes my body feel sick".

Today we were heading to a store that had a McDonald's integrated into it.  Yes, integrated into the GROCERY STORE!  As if that were necessary!  Isn't that why your there?  To get food to take home to cook?  This place should be out of business, but instead the line is often out the door into the store area.  
BUT... I digress...(sorry)...  As we were walking towards the store from the parking lot, Ryan asked "What is that big yellow thing?"  On the outside of the store was that big, yellow, iconic "M".  The gears in my head started reeling, trying to decide exactly what to say, when Ryan said "OH.... I KNOW!!!  It's "M" for Mommy!!  It's like in your name!!"  I quickly agreed with this, as it is in fact an "M" and mommy starts with the letter "M".

A small piece of me wonders if this is unpatriotic... after all... what's more American than McDonald's????  But, I have to admit, I was actually filled with a sense of pride and satisfaction.  Pride that my almost 4-year-old son has NO IDEA what those golden arches stand for, that he doesn't recognize them at all!!  Pride that the only "fast food" he really knows and will ask for by name is Subway ($5 Footlong!!).  How many kids these days, since before they can even read, recognize that big "M" as meaning McDonald's and Crappy (happy) meals??  I am SO happy to say that Ryan is not one of those kids.  That he thought of it as meaning Mommy... I'm actually very touched!  Now, I'm not saying Ryan has never had a cheeseburger or food from a fast-food restaurant... but those incidents are very few and far between.  I don't make a big deal out of it when we go, ensuring as best I can that there is no real emotional or psychological attachment to that restaurant.  He doesn't get many choices, and if there are healthier sides (which many are now offering) that is what he will get.

I know I'm being a little deceitful by not disclosing the whole truth....(especially with the Wendy's thing since it was really her dad who opened it up.... sorry Wendy), but is it really so bad??  To discourage fast food joints whose main goal is to get you addicted to their fat and sugar laden foods?  Looking around at most Americans, I don't think it is bad or wrong of me, and I solidly stand by my decision.

0 comments:

Post a Comment