Sunday, April 19, 2009

Amazing Brain

The human brain really is a fascinating organ, especially one that is still in the development stage.  I realized yesterday that I just don't appreciate it as much lately as it isn't often that I  really take the time to just stop... and watch the kids at play.  There is always something to be done, and even when I'm sitting quietly, I'm still doing something... whether it be checking e-mail, reading a magazine, making a phone call, playing "referee" between the kids, or making "to-do" lists.  Yesterday I took the time to just sit quietly and do nothing but watch, and was pretty amazed when I noticed a developmental step Evan has taken.  

Yesterday, Evan was playing with some blocks on a table.  He was traveling around the table to get to blocks on the other side when he found his path was blocked by a larger toy on the ground.  The toy has many colorful wooden beads that traverse around thick metal wires that twist and turn in different ways and directions.  Evan first tried, unsuccessfully, to go over the toy, but the wires were just too much to navigate with legs that were barely taller than the toy itself.  He tried getting as far as he could, and then just reaching for the block... a failed attempt.  He then looked at the toy very thoughtfully.... I could see him working this out in his head, visibly thinking about the obstacle.  He then grabbed the object, picked it up leaving one hand on the table to steady himself, and tossed the object aside.  I was amazed at this feat as, from what I can remember from the child development classes I'd taken, this is a "landmark" concept for children... to think past simply going over, or bowling through, an obstacle to get to what is on the other side.  This thought process is not something we're born with, but rather something we have to learn at a relatively early age.  

I did a little cheer inside my head... "WOW...Way to go EVAN!!" and continued to watch both boys play, coming to the realization that I need to take the time to do that more often.  How many of these moments have already passed and I've missed them?

0 comments:

Post a Comment