Friday, April 17, 2009

Ryan Lately

Ryan is becoming a young man before my eyes.  Over the past few weeks I have felt so proud and pleased with who he is becoming... yet at the same time a bit sad that time is moving so quickly, and all those toddler days are completely over.

A couple of weeks ago we had a spurt of beautiful summer-like weather.  We were outside as much as possible to take full advantage and Ryan seemed to pick up where we left off last summer.  On one particular day, sporting only a pair of shorts, Ryan first lay in the grass, just absorbing the sun and welcoming the warm air.  He then quickly moved on to play with some of his favorite outdoor toys (baseball set & tricycle), after which he decided to play on his playground equipment.  Last summer, Ryan was a bit intimidated by the slide.  He would start off on his bottom in a sitting position, but then quickly flip to his belly to feel more in control.  We tried to encourage him to stay on his bottom and land on his feet without success.  On this first day back out onto the slide, he climbed up without hesitation and went all the way down on his bottom... and landed squarely on his feet!  He was very proud, as was I, at his accomplishment.  Over this past year, I've noticed that Ryan has needed and/or requested my help less and less with such activities.  He is becoming much more independent.

Just last week, Ryan and I were playing a video game.  After we were done, I turned off the TV and the game console, but forgot to turn off the receiver.  As I walked into the kitchen, I remembered and turned around to complete the job.  Ryan was standing nearby and promptly told me that he already turned it off.  I was a bit surprised at this because the rule in the house has generally been that he can turn it on/off at times as long as he has permission.  I reminded him of this, and he looked at me with a look generally more fitting of a teenager that seemed to say "dear woman....dear stupid woman".  He then informed me "Mom. I'm THREE".  I stood there a moment... partly because I wanted to laugh and knew I shouldn't, and partly because I just wasn't sure what to say to this.  The only thing I could muster was "and THAT is your reasoning?" to which he very promptly replied "um, YEah!"

He is still loving preschool... and I'm sure summer will be a bit of a transition for all of us.  I was looking at a picture of him on his first day, and he looks so much younger!  That little boy is becoming a little man.






Ryan on his first day of preschool - 2008


0 comments:

Post a Comment